Rice Hotel collection
This collection conists of photographs of the interior of the Rice Hotel and a postcard.
In 1886, William Marsh Rice bought the old Capitol Hotel, built in 1882, for unpaid taxes. Rice University obtained the hotel as a bequest from its owner and renamed it the Rice Hotel. Jesse H. Jones purchased the building in 1911, and in 1913 tore it down and replaced it with a new Rice Hotel. The hotel closed in 1977, but the structure was later redesigned as luxury loft apartments and reopened in 1998. They were named Post Rice Lofts. After being sold in 2014, they were renamed The Rice.
The original materials are held by the Woodson Research Center in Fondren Library.