Texas Artillery, Maclin-Fox-Dege Battery records
This collection contains the Texas Artillery, Maclin-Fox-Dege Battery letter book, which consists of copies of Battery General Orders and letters to higher authority concerning personnel matters, requests for supplies and ordnance, as well as reports on the condition of the horses held by the battery.
The Maclin-Fox-Dege Battery was part of the Texas Light Artillery, forming the 8th Field Battery of the Army of the Confederate States of America. In 1861 the Battery was stationed near Brownsville, later moving to the Galveston area. The battery was first commanded by Capt. Robert B. Maclin, CSA. He was transferred in early 1862, and command passed to 1st. Lt P. Fox, CSA. In January 1864 P. Fox, by this time promoted to Captain, was in turn transferred and Capt. A.E. Dege, CSA, took command of the Battery.
The original materials are held by the Woodson Research Center in Fondren Library. Search the finding aid/inventory for the Maclin-Fox-Dege Battery Texas Light Artillery records, MS 295.